Mishka was originally created as an NPC for Statfield, an adventure location blighted by storms where powerful crystals are mined.
You can get Mishka’s full PDF, print-friendly version, and VTT token by subscribing to our newsletter.
Mishka Springbender was a curious gnome who loved mechanisms, quirky spells, and long equations. She had dark bushy hair, piercing eyes, lots of projects, and two and a half friends. Considered by many an artificer prodigy, her spot at the Academy has been reserved ever since her first project at the age of 5. Professors and peers were eager to witness her curiosity, keen mind, and sharp tongue. However, a strange accident slingshot Mishka away from awards and honors, further from discovery and her father’s workshop.
At the age of 16, a blast of arcane energy surprised Mishka with its potency during an intricate piece of artificing. In an instant, it vaporized her body and reduced Mishka to mere consciousness, sucking her into the Plane of Arcanus. There, she drifted for years as a mote of glowing light, experiencing the beauty and horrors of the Plane where all magic originated.
After several decades, her consciousness found a rift between the Arcanus and the Material Plane, and after a strenuous effort, she manifested back into ‘reality’…as a sentient cloud. Now another journey spreads before her: to roam the country that once was hers, to decode the strange arcane state she is in, and hopefully, rebuild herself again.
Ingenious & Socially Awkward
Mishka has always been skilled in mathematics and found numbers to be logical and rational. In contrast, she is afraid of emotions because she doesn’t know how to deal with them. Mishka sees problems as challenges to be solved and, after spending 30 years as a conscious being, has developed an obsessive-compulsive drive that does not consider the feelings of others.
Lacking social skills, Mishka can rub off the wrong way. She tells dry, witty puns and has a compulsatory drive to correct known facts and state obvious things. She is also quickly forgiven for her toddler-like behavior when one realizes that much of that comes from fear of the unknown and change.
Mischievous Button Pusher
This trait comes from her unyielding curiosity. Mishka believes there aren’t broken things, only things that are not pushed the right way. Her impressive mind gave her a thirst for knowledge and not only about sciences and artificing: she also likes biology, geography, history, languages and has a special appreciation for fine art. The last comes from her trying to solve the integrals with which the ‘art was made’.
Small elemental, chaotic good
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 21 (6d6)
Speed 0 ft., fly 30 ft. (hover)
STR 7(-2) DEX 13(+1) CON 10(+0) INT 18(+4) WIS 11(+0) CHA 12(+1)
Skills Investigation +5, Perception +2, Stealth +3
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Damage Immunities cold, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands Common and Gnomish but cannot speak, telepathy 60 ft.
Challange 1/2 (100xp)
Death Burst. If Mishka dies, she explodes in a burst of arcana. Each creature within 5 ft. Of her must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 4 (1d8) force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
False Appearance. While Mishka remains motionless, she’s indistinguishable from an ordinary cloud.
Innate Spellcasting (1/Day). Mishka can innately cast fog cloud, requiring no material components. Its innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence.
Zappp!. Melee Weapon Attack +3 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) piercing damage plus 2 (1d4) lightning damage.
Ice Storm (Recharge 6). Mishka exhales a 15-foot cone of cold air. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 3 (1d6)
piercing and 3 (1d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- ..forced by an archmage into service to keep company and protect its tower.
- ..chased by a pack of yetis who want to eat her, as she is temporarily prevented to fly higher than 5 ft.
- ..trying to aid the party during a storm but attracts nearby air elementals.
- ..tooted into existence by a young blue dragon after its defeat.
- ..chasing the party’s pet, zapping it constantly until it ‘apologizes’ for being so cute.
- ..manifested into the Material plane when a powerful spell goes wrong.
- Mishka knows how to open the portal to Arcanus. She’s willing to help the party if they take her to her childhood home.
- Mishka is on a quest to find her father’s artificing journal. It contains the blueprints the party needs.
- Mishka is on a quest to restore her body. If the party helps her, she will build them the thing.
- In the Plane of Arcanus, Mishka saw a part of the incantation of a powerful spell the party needs. She
will try to remember it if the party finds her the most perfect ice cream in the world.
- In the Plane of Arcanus, Mishka met a giant powerful creature that can aid the party and only Mishka can persuade it. She wants to see her father again.
- Mishka wants to be admitted to the Academy, even as a cloud. If the party helps, they’ll gain a huge favor from her father Zanzar, a skillful artificer and a head of a guild.